top of page
  • Writer's pictureJan Weihl

Rejecting God's Word (Jeremiah 43)

According to a May 2022 Gallup pole, only 20% of U.S. adults believe the Bible is the Word of God. Additionally, only 25% of Christian adults believe the Bible is the Word of God. This is actually nothing new, but is extremely alarming.


History shows us that every time God's people turned their backs on God, stopped trusting in Him, stopped believing in Him, He stepped back and removed his hedge of protection from them.


Then they quickly learned the error of their ways, repented and turned back to God, and He graciously forgave them and blessed them once again. That's the Old Testament in a nutshell. That repeated cycle happens over and over again.


That's exactly what we see happening in Jeremiah. God tells Jeremiah what's going to happen if the people don't turn back to Him. They don't believe Jeremiah. So God did exactly what He said He would do:


Jeremiah 43:1-2 But as soon as Jeremiah, whom the Lord their God had sent, had finished telling all the people all the words of the Lord their God—that is, all these words— Azariah the son of Hoshaiah, and Johanan the son of Kareah, and all the arrogant men said to Jeremiah, “You are telling a lie! The Lord our God has not sent you to say, ...


If you've read the Old Testament, without reading any further, at this point I'm sure you're thinking "uh-oh." We know what's going to happen next. Jeremiah had already proven himself to be a true prophet of God.


So then why did they doubt his words? Why did they immediately reject the Word of the Lord which Jeremiah was sharing with them? Why does the majority of adults in our nation today reject the Bible as the true Word of the Lord?


I can think of two possible reasons:

  1. They are not searching for the truth, but what they want the truth to be.

  2. They don't like what the Word of the Lord says, so they reject it.

But when we see that even history proves God's Word is true, when things happen just exactly as God's Word said they would happen, is it wise to reject it?


In our nation today, 80% of U.S. adults, reject the Bible as the Word of God. So if history repeats itself, if God does what He said He would do, He will remove his hedge of protection from our nation and give us exactly what the majority wants. That means the other 20% need to do more than say "uh-oh." We need to pray for our nation to turn back to God, while there is still time.


Dear Lord, You have made us into a great nation. You have given us abundant wealth, blessed us with homes, food, and families. You have given us an ability to protect ourselves from foreign invasion. You have clearly marked our borders and established us as one nation under God. But Lord, we have sinned against You. We have turned our face against You and taken prayer not only out of schools but out of our lives entirely. How could we possibly expect your hedge of protection and your blessings when we have turned our backs on You, refused to serve You, refused to have You be any part of our lives?


Oh dear Lord please forgive us. Please turn the heart of our nation back to You, Lord, while there is still time. Thank you, Lord, for loving us enough to be long suffering, waiting for us to repent and turn back to You. Lord, may today be that day that the heart of our nation would realize its sin, repent, and turn back to You. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.



Jan Weihl

Living Word Ministries

35 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page